Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Quail



I was surprised to see this quail pop up on the snag. I don't see quail often in the region and hadn't heard them calling. But after I had been sitting for awhile I heard a commotion and up popped the quail. It kept calling and after a bit I heard another respond on the other side of some bushes. They called back and forth for a bit and then disappeared. The one seemed pretty agitated. I'm assuming it wasn't because of me since it started its kerfluffel before it was in my sightline. It did seem mostly focused on me once it got to its perch though.

I think this is a female california quail (Callipepla californica). I don't really remember seeing quail that looked like this before, I guess I have just not paid attention to female quail before.

No comments: