Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Bug Inspector



There were some transients (I wonder if that is a preferred term) under the bridge today. Three grizzled men sitting in the shade, talking and relaxing. I went about my way looking for tracks and after awhile one of them asked me what I was looking for.

I said "animal tracks" and one of the others exclaimed "See?! I told you! He's one of those bug inspectors!"

The first guy said he had thought I was tweaking.

They asked what kind of bugs were around there and I told them what I knew, though explained that I was more of a mammal tracker than a bug tracker. The first one joked about mosquitoes making tracks on his arm and mentioned that there had been animals through a couple nights before. I think the "bug inspector" one had been sitting under the bridge when the tracking evaluation did some stations there and probably picked up on the fact that we were discussing bug tracks (among other things).

I'm not sure what kind of tracks these are, think they might be a beetle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool pic, and cool conversation.

Yesterday, there was a guy passed out sleeping near the spot that I've been poking around as a possible sit spot. He was right on the side of the bike path, under a bridge, and it seemed like sort of an odd place to choose to take a nap. I stopped and called to him, but he didn't answer. I watched long enough to see that his breath was easy and relaxed, like sleeping, before I headed on my way. I was surprised how many people rode by on their bikes without stopping, both while I was there and also after I had ridden past.