Saturday, January 13, 2007

Walk Around Green Lake

There was a light snow this afternoon, so I kept my eyes out when I walked around the lake this evening. I didn't really expect to see anything interesting since it had only snowed recently and had not been dark long (I started a bit after 7). It did not take long until I saw my mystery rodent tracks, fresh, bounding along the shoreline (I am leaning towards rat, the size seems right, but I wouldn't expect it to always be bounding like these animals have been doing). Not too much farther than that I saw some fresh raccoon tracks. I was going a different way around the lake then in my previous entry so though these tracks were also in the NE corner the were on opposite ends of it. That was an exciting discovery for me, realizing that the raccoons were out already (though it probably shouldn't have been a surprise) so I tried to keep my head up more in case one might cross my path. After that the light was less consistent and I didn't end up seeing any more tracks of particular interest until I got back around to the east side of the lake again and saw more rodent tracks in the same places they had been last time. I did see what I suspect were two rabbits running around in the south woody area, but it was too dark to tell for sure what they were.

The waterfowl seemed to mostly congregate along the southern part of the eastern shore though there were a few groups further out in the lake and a couple of groups interspersed in other regions, including a group of what looked like 10 shovelers near the community center (I have previously seen only two shovelers around that area).

No comments: