Monday, February 14, 2011

Porcupine


Saturday night while heading to our camping spot at Frenchmen's Coulee we heard shifting rocks in front of us. In the half-moon light, after a couple of minutes watching and listening, I was able to make out the shape of ... a porcupine? It was hard to be certain: when I looked directly at it its shape disappeared - I could only see it in my peripheral vision. When it had been quite for several minutes, we investigated with a flashlight and were able to confirm a smallish porcupine, now huddled behind a small boulder.

In the morning we spent a few hours exploring in the morning light. We each went back to investigate the spot of the sighting, though I did not see too much evidence of its passing. I thought it may have come down from the edge of the adjacent cliff band, so up the scree I climbed. There was certainly porcupine sign there - under overhangs, behind masses of vine brambles and out in the open - but no obvious sign of regular habitation. Shawn explored further down the canyon though and found a couple of porcupine sized holes overflowing with scat.


On our way back out, in almost the exact same spot we again encountered the porcupine again. I guess he had the bad luck to be heading out and back in at the opposite times as we did.

4 comments:

rowan said...

Was it fun seeing that porcupine that is a nice photo what did it do wen you found it.

Jonathan said...

Yes, it was fun to see it. When we found it, we just watched it for several minutes then left it alone.

K Porter said...

How close to the porcupine wer eyou when you took that picture?

Jonathan said...

I was probably 4 or 5 feet away... Perhaps a little closer than I should have been.