Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pika in a Rock Stack



Pika (Ochotona princeps) are a type of lagomorph that like to live in rock piles in the mountains. They are very vocal, making a high pitch squeek as an alarm call. Apparently they also sing during breeding season and the fall.

It is possible (just barely) to see a pika in the blog-sized version of this picture. I recommend clicking on the image to enlarge it for a more reasonable challenge though. I think the uncropped version might make a fun jigsaw puzzle.

7 comments:

klb said...

Nice, even after finding the critter on the large version, there was no hope of seeing the pika on the small photo without some serious upgrade in my eyewear or a time machine.

Jonathan said...

I'm glad it was a challenge (but doable on the large version).

Maybe it's time for those bi-focals (or would it be tri-focals?) :-P

klb said...

Trifocals? Things aren't that bad yet, maybe in another month or two. I was somewhat consoled by my daughter's inability to see the pika in the small version, but maybe she needs glasses too.

SA said...

It is like Where's Waldo, but with a rock rabbit*

Yes to apple picking

*as my dad called them

possum59 said...

Cool....I've got bi-focals. Still had to scroll up and down the photo to find it...the ear finally gave it away.

Jonathan said...

Yep, they blend in pretty well. Took me awhile to find it the first couple of times, and I took the picture!

rowan said...

Ware did you find it i in a book and it said that the pika is 6 1/ 5 _ 8 1/ 2 in. (157 _ 216mm ); wt. 4-6 1/ 3 oz. (113- 180g).