Monday, August 10, 2009

Caterpillars



A few weeks ago I was out scouting locations for a tracking class and I noticed these caterpillars. They really seemed to like this plant, as every plant like this I noticed in that area was demolished and had up to a couple of dozen of these caterpillars on each plant. Unfortunately the remnants of the plants were not familiar enough that I could figure out what kind of plant it was.

I tried to identify the caterpillar on cool identification site, but though it returned a result (Utetheisa bella) the pictures of that species look enough different from mine that I suspect they are not the same critter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the picture and I like color of the caterpillar and it was nice that you found them. I have been finding lots of catepillars on salmon berries and I put them in a butterfly pavilion to see what they will become. Rowan

Anonymous said...

Did you find them in a meadow or in the forest? from connor

Jonathan said...

Rowan - have any of them made cocoons yet? What do you feed them?

Connor - I found them on the edge of the road next to a meadow.

Anonymous said...

They haven't made cocoons. We have been feeding them leaves - salmonberry leaves. Rowan

Thank you for letting me know about it - that is a cool thing to know.
Connor

connor said...

that was nice that you find them .were did you find them.

connor said...

that was nice that you found them. were did you find them.

Jonathan said...

Connor - I found them a few miles from where I live on the edge of a gravel road.