Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Fawn

While visiting Alaska the past couple of weeks I had the good fortune to help a friend out with some survey work in the wilderness area on Chichagof. We saw quite a few cool things and the weather was even pretty nice a few hours out of the days we were there.



Probably my favorite experience of the trip was seeing this fawn. I don't recall having ever seen a fawn in the wild like this - still spotted and everything. We were just walking along through the woods when Kitty stumbled and exclaimed "Oh!" Apparently not having seen the fawn until she had almost literally stumbled upon it. It was quite well camouflaged and still. It laid there until just after I took this picture from a couple feet away. Then it wobbily got up and galloped off. Hopefully not so far that it got separated from its mother. I think that they use at least some vocal communication to find each other.

I think the fawns in Washington must have been born quite a bit earlier than this one, but the season was quite a bit later in this location. There was still quite a bit of snow on the ground in places at around 1000 foot elevation and much of the vegetation was still maturing.

4 comments:

rowan said...

I cant blev you got that close to it. it is cote .

Jonathan said...

Yeah, it was pretty lucky to find it and get that close. Maybe if you spend a lot of time in the woods in the spring/early summer you will be able to find one too!

connor said...

that was a cote fawn . were did you see it.

Jonathan said...

Yep, it was pretty cute! I saw it on Chichagof island.