Monday, June 22, 2009

At the Beach



I am up in Sitka visit family. One of my niece and nephew's favorite activities is going to the beach and trying to catch bullheads (little fish) in the tide pools. This is a great time of year to be down at the beach because there are some of the lowest tides of the year so a lot of interesting things are visible that normally aren't.



I really enjoy watching and listening to the ravens while I am up here. I run into ravens on occasion in Washington, but they are very common around Sitka so it is a lot easier to observe them. This one was pecking in the seaweed finding things to eat.

4 comments:

SA said...

very cool photos. elly and i were packing during low tide, but i was thinking about the critters.

Julie said...

Have you ever read "Mind of the Raven" by Bernd Heinrich? He spent more than a decade observing ravens closely and taking notes on their behavior & interactions. If you haven't, borrow mine! It's a great read and right up your alley.

myonlyphoto said...

Excellent photo. BTW I never seen a raven in my life, lol, just crows. But if I did, I don't think I would see the difference. This is nice photo of the raven. Nature is wonderful. Anna :)

Jonathan said...

@Julie: I think I have read Mind of the Raven and Ravens in Winter. Quite interesting reading.

@Anna: Thanks. If you see ravens and crows together (especially up around Sitka) you will probably be able to tell the difference with out any trouble. Ravens are much bigger! I do have a little more trouble down in Washington where I don't often see them together and usually from a bit of a distance.