Monday, December 15, 2008

Birds in Arbutus


It snowed in Seattle a couple of days ago and the weather has actually been cold enough for it to stay around. So yesterday afternoon I went for a walk to enjoy the snow and see what tracks were out.

I didn't end up seeing many wild tracks, but as I walked down the road there was a cacophony of birds coming from every pacific madrone (Arbutus menziesii) I passed. I'm not sure if it is because they need extra energy because of the cold, or if the cold made the fruit more delicious, but they were gorging on the small red fruits of the tree.

3 comments:

Island Bookworm said...

I live near Victoria and I noticed that the arbutus 'berries' stayed on extremely late this year. We had a very dry fall so perhaps that was the cause. Anyway, they are now a bonanza for the birds.

Jonathan said...

Interesting. I haven't really paid much attention to their fruit before. Are they usually gone much earlier then?

Island Bookworm said...

Yes. When they hang over your driveway you really notice all the various bits they drop throughout the growing season. ;) First the leaves, then the bark, then the berries. :)