Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bike Ride


I am still planning on getting to some posts about the wolf tracking trip soon, but I had some cool experiences while riding my bike recently and I still have some work to do with the photos I took in Idaho.

I've ridden my bike along the Snoqualmie Valley Trail where it goes near by Fall City a couple of times this past week. The first ride I went up to the bridge going across Tokul creek. It was quite pretty with the sun going down on the horizon, the bridge high above the creek, but with sizable trees reaching up above the bridge. On the way back I heard some sort of animal call - I suspect an insect - at several places along the trail. The rhythm of it reminded me of a chickadee call, but almost toneless and coming from fixed places, the closest one I heard seemed to be on the ground.

Today I rode north towards Carnation. On the way back I stopped and watched a couple of 4-point bucks eating apples on the edge of a field near some houses. One of them seemed much more cautious, it looked in my direction for quite some time (there was a row of trees and shrubs at the edge of the road between us so I think it was difficult for them to see me clearly) while the other continued to eat.

A ways back up the road a decent sized black bear popped out onto the road ahead of me and loped along for maybe 100 yards before looking back to see if I was still coming, then heading off up the hill next to the trail. It had come out of the woods next to a large meadow, I don't think there were any apple trees down there, but there were quite a few blackberries brambles which seem to just be coming into their prime around here.

Maybe I'll keep up the bike riding.

2 comments:

Blox said...

So you're saying that your bike didn't come with the impaling spike/harpoon on the front that you can use to skewer random bears and pedestrians that you happen across? Or that you derive a sense of power by granting random acts of mercy, like the Ralph Fiennes character in Schindler's List? C'mon, that bear was basically begging you to run it down!

Jonathan said...

I didn't realize you could get a bike with such things. They are probably less common out here in western Washington where the peaceniks and greenies live.

I bet the bear would be tasting pretty good after it's been feasting on all those delicious berries.