Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A day of wandering

One of the first days of the term we broke up into our new clans and went on wanders. Trestle swamp, pictured here, ended up being our destination in the sense that we ate lunch there and more or less started heading back (by a different route) when we left it. It was my first time there and we saw what we think was an otter. We then built a fire, which was quite a challenge since we were in the middle of a long streak of consecutive rainy days in the area, but we finally managed with the proper application of pitch.




We found this amazing skeleton earlier in our wander. We were surprised by how little it had been disturbed. The best explanation we could think of was that it died of some disease which made it unappealing to other animals. Though we had some identification guesses, none of them seemed to fit the skeleton. It wasn't until we got back to look at some field guides that we decided it was a possum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jonathan,
I just came across your site through a link from http://jfecteau.blogspot.com/. I'm an apprentice with the Vashon Youth School through WAS, and have been pondering the Residential Program. I'm excited to come across a blog with such great pictures and stories to give me a little insight into what you all are doing. Thanks for sharing! I've got a blog up at http://www.whoaphotos.com/blog where I share a lot of ramblings, including my Kamana 2.3 homework, and occasional stories about my days with the kids on Vashon. I'm pretty easily distractable, so there's lots of other stuff in there too, but you might find some of it interesting.