Thursday, April 22, 2010

Deer Camouflage




While scouting out tracks before tracking club this month, I caught a glimpse of something at the edge of the woods. I thought it was a deer, but wasn't certain until I went over and found really fresh deer tracks. I still had awhile before we were supposed to meet up again, so I trailed it. It was pretty easy to follow at first as the deer had been moving pretty quickly and even when it moved into more duffy terrain the tracks were easy to see. After a few minutes though, it had slowed down and the tracks were more difficult to follow. Still I managed to get close enough where it startled and made some noise and I was able to see it again.

Hopefully in the future I will get a bit stealthier and start seeing the deer before they see me. But this time I guess I didn't scare it too badly, because it looked at me for a little while before walking off and I was able to get this picture of it. I think it is interesting how much more difficult it is to pick it out in black and white than in color (though color isn't all that easy either).


Click to show color version.

4 comments:

K Porter said...

Is there supposed to be a deer in this picture?

Jonathan said...

There is! Did you look at the color version too?

Anonymous said...

I saw parts of the deer right in the center on the small version of the color photo, then clicked to see the full size photo, and could see the deer clearly.

SA said...

That is amazing. I saw the deer, it looked like a Kangaroo.