Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lopez Island Camping



I went with some friends to Lopez island a few weeks ago. We had plans to play lots of games, stay up late sneaking around in the woods and so forth. The island had other plans for us though. It ended up being a very lovely, lazy weekend.

That was the first time I have been on Lopez and I liked it a lot. It made me a little homesick for my island roots. There weren't a lot of commercial places to go and a lot of the business shut down at 4pm, which works out nicely when your intent is to spend time outside anyway :). The town area was small and cool. We picked blackberries nearby and traded them in at the local bakery. We hung out in the used bookstore/adjacent coffee shop and chatted. We went to various beaches and watched seals out on the rocks and the sun set behind the horizon. We collected and dried seaweed and made little slings and practiced throwing smooth beach stones with them. We visited Jeff's grandma and had pie and played boggle.

I need to have more weekends like that.

No comments: