Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spring Walk


The weather around here has been strange as of late. It snowed again a couple of days ago. It was nice and sunny today though, so I rousted myself for a walk. It's been a few weeks since I've been on a walk in my neighborhood and there have definitely been some spring changes.

I've been seeing the indian plum (Oemleria cerasiformis) budding as I drove by it on the roads, but up close I could see the flowers starting to come out. One of my favorite observations on the walk was hearing a winter wren singing - they have such a lovely voice. I'd been hearing occasional other birds sing around the house, but this was the first winter wren song of the year for me.

I made it down to the park and basked in the sun for awhile. In my last basking spot I heard an owl call (I believe it was a barred owl). It called once more as I went to investigate/try and see it, but I was unable to spot it. Seemed odd to hear an owl in the middle of the afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winter must be longer this year, it is a bit difficult to recall the sound of a winter wren singing. Thanks for the reminder that spring will arrive.

Jonathan said...

You're welcome. I've really been enjoying the sun here, though the forecast calls for rain again for the next several days...

When do you usually start getting the early signs of spring there?