Monday, February 16, 2009

Track of the Week 19

You may have noticed that I have been missing a week a couple of times recently. I'm starting to run a little low on motivation and stored up track pictures and my camera is trying to make it to the shop (just saw to day that it was marked as "Undeliverable as Addressed"). But I had a request to keep it going for awhile longer, so I'll see what I can do.

Setting: Central Idaho, summer 2008





1. Who made these?

Pocket Gopher, based on the range maps in Peterson's Mammals, probably northern pocket gopher (Thomomys talpoides).


2. What are they (and how were they made)?

Possom59 got it right in the comments. These are eskers formed when the gopher makes tunnels in the snow and then back fills them to get rid of the the dirt from its underground tunnelling.


Previous Track of the Week
Next Track of the Week

1 comment:

possum59 said...

I know this one! Pocket Gophers did it...The eskars are formed under the snow...the little critters dig tunnels in the snow, which they fill with dirt from the underground tunnels, and when the snow melts, the eskars remain. They are solid cores of earth, not tunnels themselves, as they might first appear.