Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Deer Mouse



This weekend I went exploring the land that I'm considering purchasing with some friends. It's a pretty cool place. Most of it looks much like the above, there are 5 small streams running through it and that parts that don't look like this are open with many fruit trees and a large garden area.



While I was out wandering the woods I noticed this little mouse trying to get out of my way and stay hidden. It's not a very common experience for me to see a mouse while wondering in the woods. Though while camping out a couple weeks ago I did have a mouse running back and forth above my head, occasionally on my sleeping bag, and chewing a hole in a pocket of my pack (one that had no food for it).

A recent track of the week had deer mice tracks, so getting a picture of this little guy seemed timely. You can even see the front and hind feet pretty well (if you click to enlarge the image anyway) and can get a feel for some of the differences between their front and hind tracks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take a picture of the fruit trees and garden area? Would be nice to see those too.

Jonathan said...

I didn't. Maybe I will do that later.

Anonymous said...

Land! How exciting!

I've had a few similar, interesting mouse experiences in the last few months, including taking very similar pictures to yours, having a mouse run over my sleeping bag a few times while sleeping in the ravine behind my house, and having a couple move into my truck during a camping trip! I wonder what the mice people are trying to say?

connor said...

were did you see it.

Jonathan said...

Connor - I saw it in the woods near Duvall, a little ways from where I live now.