Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lizards

I'm not sure why I didn't post this when I wrote it last spring, but I found it today while going through my old drafts, so I will post it now.


I don't see many lizards in Washington, though I do see them more when I'm on the east side of the mountains. Last month's tracking intensive was on the west side, but we saw a fence lizard. This month we were on the east side I saw a few more lizards.



Somebody caught this western skink. I'm not sure I've ever seen a skink before. Apparently they have bright blue tails when they are young.



I think this is a western fence lizard.

12 comments:

connor said...

That was nice lizard were did you find itba.

Jonathan said...

I found it in eastern washington.

rowan said...

what tipe of Lizard is that. does it Lose its tale .

connor said...

what were you looking for wen you found the lizards .or were you looking for the lizard?

Jonathan said...

I wasn't looking for anything in particular. Just seeing what I would see. One of the lizards is a skink, the other is a fence lizard. I'm not sure if they lose their tail. Do you suppose you could look that up for me?

rowan said...

the lizards look a lot like skink i woched it on tv and the peple ho were treing to cechethe yung. had blue tais and lose that tail

Jonathan said...

Thanks for letting me know about that Rowan. I guess this skink might lose its tail too then.

rowan said...

your welckum .

Paige T. said...

the lizard is called a western fence they have blue stomachs and LOVE the sun they normally live in wood piles say if you live in eastern washington if you have a wood pile that is in the sun if it is hot out you should more than likely have a western fence lizard or locally known as a (blue belly) sitting there laying in the sun..... I live in eastern washington i have been around them as long as i can remember

Paige T. said...

oh and to let you guys know the western fence lizard looses its tail i had one of them there tail popped right off in my hands but i am not sure about the skink

Jonathan said...

Hey Paige,

Thanks for the info!

Paige T. said...

oh pshaw no problem