Thursday, March 06, 2008

Chain of Nature



My friend Roy introduced me to the idea of finding natural chains. This picture is an example of a three chain - a coyote ate a bunch of Russian olive fruits and then a mouse (I'm not actually certain it was a mouse, but it seems likely) came along and ate the seeds out of the resulting scat. One could perhaps count whatever animal had been eaten by the coyote (as evidenced by the hair in the scat), but I find it more aesthetically pleasing to limit myself to the direct chain. Though it would have been a fun addition to have found evidence in the scat that the coyote had eaten a mouse.

I've been away for the past couple of weeks on a trip to California and then the normal monthly tracking intensive. I've got a few things to share from those trips and so hopefully will get those posted during the next week or two.

No comments: