Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mushrooms

Having lived in the coastal rainforest most of my life I should probably have learned more about mushrooms by now. Alas, I am woefully ignorant.

While at the ISPT tracking conference some of us noticed an abundance of mushrooms that had been coming up in the lawns and woods around Carnation. A couple of them were unlike ones I'd ever seen before.

I don't have a picture of it, but one mushroom was found that looked like pasta that had been cooked a little too long then allowed to cool in a clump.

Another new one for me is this fuzzy one which I found growing under a log. Unfortunately it broke off as I tried to get a better picture of it.



I think these might be called inky caps. I like the little colonies they form.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen a total of 4 mushrooms since I moved to Montana--now I'm a vicarious mushroomer. I wonder if the cooked pasta one is Sparassis crispa, cauliflower mushroom. It's the best mushroom I've eaten (because it's too firm for the texture to be mistaken for cooked slugs).

Jonathan said...

Yeah, it looked kind of like one of those.

Cooked slugs might be good though, after all they are closely related to snails.