Sunday, October 14, 2007

Olympic Vegetation

It took me awhile longer to get to this than I thought it would. These are just a few of the interesting vegetation (does fungus count as vegetation? I know it's not a plant...) I saw on my trip to Olympic National Park.



Subalpine spirea (Spiraea densiflora). A different species of spirea is common around the puget sound, but I think this may be the first time I've noticed this species in the wild (I haven't spent much time at high elevations around here).



This mushroom seems a bit unusual. I saw it half under a log not far from the trailhead. The brown and white both seemed to be fairly well stuck on and I didn't see any obvious environmental causes for the difference in coloration.



This was probably my favorite vegetative find on the trip. The seed head just looks so cool. Unfortunately I was unable to figure out what kind of plant it is. Probably would have been easier if I knew what the flowers look like or if I had a book about the vegetation on the peninsula instead of the more general books I have.



The leaves that go along with the seed head above. Please let me know if you have ideas as to what it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! That crazy seed head is one of my favorite plants. I used to call it Beethoven flower since his hair is portrayed that way sometimes. Anyway, it's Western pasqueflower or tow-head baby, Anemone occidentalis, I think. No clue about the mushroom...